Assessment Requirements and Details:
MA Programme Title: Education
Pathway: Leadership and Management (Investigating Education).
Proposed Title: The role of Leaders in Educational Change.
Words required: 5000 words.
There will be one written assignment of 5,000 words. The assignment is designed to produce a research proposal for an MA dissertation.
This should include:
¥ The background to and rationale for the dissertation
¥ The research questions / hypotheses you will be investigating
¥ An outline of the literature you will draw on
¥ An outline of the research design and the data collection methods you will use (this could include draft questionnaires etc.)
¥ A discussion of the range of possible approaches to your topic and a justification for the approach adopted
¥ A discussion of any problems with or limitations of the study
¥ A time scale
¥ A list of chapters for the thesis
The background to and rationale for the dissertation:
• Why you chose this topic
• Why it is important to study this topic
• How will results be important/relevant to practice?
The research questions / hypotheses you will be investigating:
• Outline your research hypotheses and/or research questions
• Explain why you chose these questions or devised these hypotheses (more explanation will come in the following outline literature review section)
An outline of the literature you will draw on:
• Give an outline of the literature on this topic; key findings and key studies that you will draw upon
• Highlight possible gaps in current research or knowledge in your context
An outline of the research design and the data collection methods you will use (this could include draft questionnaires etc.):
• Case study, action research, experimental…
• Qualitative, quantitative, mixed methods,
• What instruments (e.g. questionnaires, interviews, tests etc) and why you chose these
• Who you participants (sample) are and why
It is essential to draw upon the research methods literature!
A discussion of the range of possible approaches to your topic and a justification for the approach adopted:
• How else could have answered the research questions and why did not choose an alternative approach
• Strengths and weaknesses of different research designs
A discussion of any possible problems with or limitations of the study:
• Consideration of ethical issues
A time scale:
• Plan of what is going to happen and when