The manufacturing Engineering Manager has given you a project to evaluate an appropriate manufacturing process to produce the rear differential housing for a super car.
You are required to provide a cad drawing detailing the component, to include but not limited to:- tolerance bands, materials, tooling/holding solutions and manufacture / machining techniques for its production.
Learning Outcome 1.1
1.1: Select suitable data and processes for component manufacture using a range of conventional machining techniques.
- Obtain appropriate data for the above component, identifying environmental and operational conditions, to then evaluate at least two methods of conventional manufacturing techniques. Specify appropriate tolerance bands for each linear dimension.
- Produce a technical drawing of the given component showing the dimensions obtained in Q1. This can be done using a suitable computer software or by traditional draughtsman techniques. All tolerance information should be shown.
Learning Outcome 1.2
1.2: Assess tooling requirements and work-holding techniques for a given component using a range of conventional machining techniques
- Describe how the given component could be produced, stating relevant machinery, holding devices and tooling requirements for component manufacture. How might this procedure differ, when a customer orders 10 components or 10,000 components as a manufacturing requirement?
Learning Outcome 2.1
2.1: Select suitable data and processes for component manufacture using moulding and shaping techniques for metals and ceramics
- Compare the different process techniques used for the extruding of Mild Steel bar and the moulding of a Cast Iron component. Describe the tooling requirements and manufacturing procedure, as well as commenting on any limitations associated with each process.
Learning Outcome 2.2 and 2.3
2.2: Explain changes to material properties due to the moulding and shaping processes.
2.3: Explain the tooling requirements for producing a given component by moulding and shaping.
- Using the processes outlined in Q4, what stresses and strains are forced on the materials during production and what management techniques are utilised to control their effects on the finished product.
Learning Outcome 3.1 and 3.2
3.1: Select suitable data and processes for component manufacture using a less-conventional machining process.
3.2: Explain the tooling and ancillary equipment requirements to manufacture a given component by a less-conventional machining process.
- Describe the manufacturing techniques and tooling/equipment requirements for two of the following three processes, one technique will be assessed as a group presentation and the second technique is to be a written submission:
- Wire Erosion
- Water Jet Cutting
- Etching of PCB’s
Within your answer include the following parameters, along with other relevant information:
- Tolerance Range
- Material Suitability
- Surface Finish
- Material Removal Rate
- Cost Implications