Learning Outcomes: On completion of this module the student should be able to:
- Demonstrate understanding of the structural properties and engineering performance of a variety of construction materials.
- Describe the failure mechanisms of the common structural materials and propose methods to prevent or minimise such failures.
- Identify and analyse the recent developments in sustainable materials and their engineering properties.
- Analyse the properties of modern composite materials and how they affect human comfort.
ALL THREE TASKS ARE TO BE ATTEMPTED
TASK 1 Brickwork Deterioration: Case Study 40
Study any two existing scenarios of brickwork damage.
You need to demonstrate your understanding of the causes of this damage, along with the remediation measures.
Support your answer using pictures taken by you- stating the name of the street, where the brickwork deterioration case was observed.
TASK 2 Specialist Bricks: Case study 35
Choose a building(s) with specialist bricks used in three different components of the building. With the help of pictures taken by you, along with the sketches or diagrams, highlight the key functions of these bricks. Also, write a brief note about the type of brick bond noticed on the building studied.
TASK 3 CDM 2015 15
The Construction (Design and Management) Regulations (CDM) are the main set of regulations for managing the health, safety and welfare of construction projects.
You are required to enhance your knowledge on the Construction Design and Management Regulations 2015.
- a) Explain the key changes in the regulations, which make it different from the CDM 2007. 5
- b) Explain how the CDM could affect you as a domestic client (home owner, getting some construction work done in your own home.) 5 c) A CPD seminar is arranged on . A CPD certificate obtained after attending this seminar will demonstrate your understanding of all key aspects of the changes.
ATTACH A CPD CERTIFICATE ONLY.
- c) For those who were unable to attend the above seminar, please watch the following video from the link given and answer the following questions :
- What were the risks observed during the maintenance at the CITY HALL? ii. What are the speaker’s views on Buildability? iii. What was the use of a Spider crane in one of the case studies?